Author: Troy Patterson

Ontario’s representative to the U.S. is confident there’s a deal to be made on growing the Canada-U.S. economic relationship in a way that resolves U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade concerns, but says Canada will feel “a lot of pain” before that is achieved. David Paterson says he’s had positive conversations with Republican lawmakers in Washington who understand America’s dependance on Canadian goods, particularly critical minerals like nickel from Ontario, and the need for a North American alliance against China and Russia.He says underscoring those needs and finding ways to strengthen and expand them has been a key focus as Trump’s…

Read More

By The Staff The Canadian Press Posted January 26, 2025 9:08 am 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size Former central banker Mark Carney is set to add another big endorsement to his growing pile of backers as Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne is expected to announce his endorsement today. Two sources who weren’t authorized to discuss it publicly, tell The Canadian Press Carney and Champagne will be campaigning in the minister’s riding all day. Yesterday in Toronto, Carney said he would run as an MP in the next election, regardless of what came of the leadership…

Read More

As Ottawa floats possible solutions to U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariff threats, it faces a dilemma: does it appease the United States and open up the domestic market, inflicting volatility and job losses but potentially driving down consumer prices, or does it stand firm with retaliatory threats to protect Canadian industries? Canada is bracing for the impact of Trump’s threats to levy blanket tariffs of 25 per cent on all goods entering the U.S. from Canada and Mexico, with much being said about price hikes for certain consumer goods if the tariffs come into force, but little attention paid to…

Read More

An Albertan who lost her home in the devastating Jasper wildfire last year says broken promises by the United Conservative Party government in setting up interim housing for those displaced are unacceptable. “I don’t know why the UCP would commit and promise something and then just completely revoke it,” said Sabrina Charlebois, who has been living in a hotel in town since November.“Because they’re not getting their way, they’re just pulling out completely? That’s unacceptable.” Charlebois helped organize a protest Friday on the six-month anniversary of the blaze that displaced an estimated 2,000 Jasper residents.More than 200 people marched through…

Read More

While United States President Donald Trump continues to talk about tariffs on Canadian exports, his plans are being criticized by some industry groups in both the United States and Canada who say changing the status quo will hurt everyone involved. “Both of our economies, particularly when it comes to energy, are highly integrated and highly efficient,” said Mark Scholz, the president and CEO of the Canadian Association of Energy Contractors (CAOEC).He explained trade over the past 50 years or so has created wealth and prosperity for both Canada and the United States and any export tariffs, taxes, or bans on…

Read More

Defence Minister Bill Blair says Canada could hit its NATO defence spending target within just a few years if need be but didn’t commit to doing so. NATO members have all committed to spend the equivalent of two per cent of its GDP on defence but Canada has consistently failed to reach that target.Last summer, following backlash from Republican lawmakers in the U.S., Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canadian defence spending would hit the two per cent marker in 2032.But there was no clear plan to get there, and some military analysts have questioned whether 2032 was possible.Today when Blair…

Read More

Descrease article font size Increase article font size Canada Post says the federal government is providing it with a lifeline to help the Crown corporation continue operating as it “deals with significant financial challenges.” The corporation said Friday that Ottawa plans to make repayable funding of up to $1.034 billion available for its 2025-26 fiscal year.Canada Post’s incoming funding comes just two months after it reported steep financial losses in its third quarter, with the national postal service reporting a loss before tax of $315 million amid a decline in parcel revenue and volumes.That quarter’s revenue from parcels had dipped…

Read More

Canada has a “limited capacity” to welcome people looking to resettle, the federal immigration minister said, as the country braces for a potential influx of migrants in the wake of U.S. President Donald Trump’s border crackdown. As part of a series of executive orders cracking down on immigration, this week Trump suspended America’s refugee resettlement program, leaving stranded thousands in war-torn countries across the globe who were approved to come to the United States.Immigration Minister Marc Miller said the U.S. decision is “unfortunate” and Canada will continue to be there for people fleeing conflict, but there is a limit to…

Read More

Ontarians will go to the polls in February, Premier Doug Ford said Friday while announcing his government’s plan to improve transit in Peel Region. Ford confirmed Global News’ Thursday reporting that sources said the premier would go to Lt. Gov. Edith Dumont on Jan. 29 to dissolve his government, which would allow for an election to take place on Feb. 27.The confirmation comes after weeks of rampant speculation Ford would head to the polls early, amidst a threat of tariffs from the United States that has allowed the premier to take a national leadership role.“We need a mandate from the…

Read More

Canada’s former ambassador to the United States says he’s confident Ottawa can avoid the worst of the tariff threats proposed by U.S. president-elect Donald Trump, but that Canada won’t be completely unscathed. Frank McKenna, who is now deputy chair at TD Securities, said he believes the incoming president is looking to use money from tariffs to lower American taxes but that Trump’s 25 per cent tariff is likely “a throwaway number” meant to act as a bargaining tactic ahead of his inauguration.“If he were to actually put 25 per cent tariffs against all Canadian goods and all Mexican goods, that…

Read More