Author: Silas Reed

Emmanuel Rugamba embraces the challenge of helping the Edmonton Elks return to the CFL playoffs. The veteran linebacker/defensive back was part of Edmonton general manager Ed Hervey’s deep dive into CFL free agency earlier this month.Rugamba was among several veterans Hervey, in his second tenure with the Elks, added to his roster, including: defensive backs Royce Metchie and Tyrell Ford, defensive linemen Robbie Smith, Jake Ceresna, Jared Brinkman and Brandon Barlow, punter Cody Grace and receiver Steven Dunbar. 2:42 Tre Ford speaks at news conference after re-signing with the Elks This followed Canadian quarterback Tre Ford — Tyrell’s twin brother…

Read More

Get daily National news Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day. Sign up for daily National newsletter Sign Up By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News’ Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Source link

Read More

Canada has purchased 500,000 doses of a bird flu vaccine for humans. The vaccines, produced by the British pharmaceutical company GSK, were ordered as a “proactive measure” in case the doses are needed, the Public Health Agency of Canada says.PHAC says the current risk to the public posed by bird flu remains low, but that the vaccines were ordered to protect Canadians who may be at increased risk of exposure.The move comes four months after Canada reported its first domestically acquired human case of H5N1 in November, and as global cases continue to rise.There are concerns the spring migration could…

Read More

Descrease article font size Increase article font size Three out of four Manitobans are actively trying to avoid buying American-made products, according to a new Probe Research poll. The study also found that six out of 10 Manitobans have cancelled plans to vacation in the U.S. — a significant jump from last October, when the number of travellers from Manitoba who were avoiding the States sat around 40 per cent.According to the poll data, people in Winnipeg, those with higher levels of formal education and older Manitobans are most likely to boycott the U.S., with Liberal and NDP voters —…

Read More

By Liam Casey The Canadian Press Posted February 19, 2025 1:04 pm Updated February 19, 2025 1:05 pm 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size The City of Niagara Falls has approved an application by Marineland to sever its property so it can raise money to move its animals and operate the park. The city approved the application at a committee of adjustment hearing Tuesday evening. Get daily National news Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day. A lawyer for Marineland says the park has…

Read More

With Canada’s new fentanyl czar now in place, Public Safety Minister David McGuinty said the next step in the fight against the opioid crisis is to designate criminal cartels as terrorist entities under the country’s Criminal Code. Speaking Wednesday at Toronto Pearson International Airport, McGuinty said that listing cartels as terrorist groups will give law enforcement, such as RCMP and local police, more authority and more powers to “follow the money and to look and see how criminal cartels are using sophisticated laundering tactics.”“Right now in downtown Toronto, there’s a gathering of the leadership of the Public Safety Department with…

Read More

Loblaw says it’s planning to open 80 new grocery and pharmacy stores this year, about 50 of which will be discount grocers. The company says the new locations are part of an approximately $10 billion investment over the next five years, including $2.2 billion this year.The plans for 2025 include renovating more than 300 grocery and pharmacy locations.They also involve modernizing the company’s supply chain, including the initial opening of an East Gwillimbury, Ont. distribution centre that started construction in 2022.“From opening one of the largest fully automated distribution centres in North America, to introducing dozens of small-format, hard discount…

Read More

Canada’s plan for high-speed rail are picking up steam with a multi-billion-dollar funding boost. The federal government announced the new funding and that a consortium has been chosen to develop the planned link between Toronto and Quebec City on Wednesday.The project, dubbed “Alto,” would see fully electric trains transport passengers along the highly trafficked rail corridor at speeds of 300 kilometres per hour along 1,000 kilometres of track.“A reliable, efficient high-speed rail network will be a game changer for Canadians, slashing travel times by half, getting you from Toronto to Montreal in three hours,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in…

Read More

A group of seniors living at a nearby retirement residence are voicing concerns over a new residential tower development proposed along Macleod Trail in southeast Calgary. The proposal would see a multi-phased transformation of Heritage Plaza, a shopping complex on the corner of Heritage Drive and Macleod Trail S.E.A development permit for the first phase, a 26-storey tower with 250 units and more than 1,500 square metres of ground floor commercial space, is currently under review with the City of Calgary.However, residents who live at the Sierras of Heritage retirement residence next door are concerned about the incoming impacts if…

Read More

By Staff The Canadian Press Posted February 19, 2025 8:49 am 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size Pat King, one of the organizers of the 2022 convoy protest in Ottawa, is set to be sentenced in an Ottawa courtroom on Wednesday. Superior Court Justice Charles Hackland found King guilty on five counts in November, including mischief and disobeying a court order.King was found not guilty on three counts of intimidation and one count of obstructing police.The Crown is seeking a sentence of 10 years for King — the maximum penalty. 2:01 ‘Freedom Convoy’ organizer Pat…

Read More